The Horton Point Lighthouse was constructed by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1857. It is one of seven historic lighthouses in the town of Southold. The tower and it’s adjoining keepers residence were built on a parcel of Barnabas Horton’s 1640 land grant.
The light tower is 58 feet tall and once housed a third order Fresnel lens. It was finally automated in 1933.
In 1990, restoration began on the tower to re-open it and make it active again. It now houses the Southold Historical Society’s Nautical Museum.
For more information visit Southold Historical Society at southoldhistoricalsociety.org