The summer has come and everyone is ready to hit the beaches, however residents should be aware of elevated levels of bacteria that were found by the Suffolk County Department of Health.
Out of 190 Beaches, six (6) of them are closed for bathing due to the potential health hazards. According to Commissioner of Health Dr. James Tomarken, bathing in the bacteria-contaminated water can result in gastrointestinal illness, as well as infections in the eyes, ears, nose and throat.
The beaches that are closed are as follows:
- Lake Ronkonkoma Beach, Islip
- Tanner Park Beach, Copiague
- Benjamin Beach, Bay Shore
- Fleet’s Cove Beach, Huntington
- Huntington Beach Community association Beach, Centerport
- Crab Meadow Beach, Northport
For more information on Suffolk County’s Bathing Beach Program and/or for the latest water quality status of your beach, see the links below or call the Beach Hotline at 631-852-5822.